Thursday 2 October 2014

Graduation - all about the hat!

I was recently asked if I could make a graduation card. The only remit was that it should                                    
 "be about the hat"

So armed with my supplies I set about making this cute  pop up mortar board card.

This was actually the first time I had made one of these and I was surprised at how simple it was to make with just some black and some white card, a scoring board and some adhesive.

For my card I opted to use some white cord so that the tassel would stand out. I made the tassel from a piece of scrap black card which I cut with the fringe scissors and rolled. I adhered it with sticky strip (red line tape) I punched a small hole, threaded the cord though and taped it on the back and used a black brad for extra security -  knowing that pretty much everyone who sees it will be tempted to touch the tassel!

On the base I stamped the greeting and the recipients name  but the sender also wanted to include a personal message and the thing with these types of cards is  that unlike a normal open fold card, there often isn't anywhere obvious to write a private message...so with that in mind I printed the message onto vellum and while it was fresh from the printer I added embossing powder and heat embossed it. I then cut it out and rolled it up to form a scroll which I  tied with some gold bakers twine. I fixed a small looped band of black card to the mortar board and slid the rolled scroll inside.... and the end result was a mortar board pop up with a graduation scroll message.

I was happy with the finished card and the customer was delighted too so i thought I would share this one today.

Until next time, take care

Christa   xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment