Friday 9 May 2014

Show & Tell - Card Candy







CARD CANDY!

I recently took part in an organised card candy swap  over at ILWS and organised by the lovely Jo. If you are not familiar with the concept let me quickly explain... There were ten demonstrators involved and we each chose a stamp set and  used that stamp set  to make ten packs of card candy. Once we had made and packaged our candy we all sent it to Jo who sorted it and sent us back one each of the ten completed sets (so we  each got one of our own sets back too)


I chose to use Perfect Pennants stamp set and matching framelits for my card candy and I used mainly the current in-colours. I used a number of techniques to make my candy including embossing, water colouring, faux stitching, paper piercing and of course the all important stamping...and I used card stock, stamps, ink, sponges, chalk marker, framelits, punches, foil paper, washi tape, glimmer paper, ribbon, candy dots and rhinestones - but the beauty of card candy is that while it may utilise lots of different products, it allows you to make use of all the offcuts and smaller pieces you may have left over from other projects... and at the end of the day you get some pretty cool card candy pieces that are totally unique.  Once you get started making card candy I don't think you will ever want to buy a pack in a shop again...

I think card candy also help us to see stamp sets in a new light. Sometimes - and we all do this - I have looked at a stamp set and thought well that's nice but how would I use it?  I consider my stamps and investment of sorts and so I like to know that I will be able to make the most of each set I invest in...card candy provides yet another creative option.

So without further ado I will share  some of the card candy that I received in the swap. Some of the stamp sets used are sets that I own and I  will start with these. All of the sets came packaged in cello bags with pretty toppers but since I want to focus on the candy itself I have zoomed in a bit.


This first one (on the left) was made by Jo  and she chose the Life in the Forest stamp set. This is a great one for colouring and scene building and I love all of Jo's fabulous candy designs. The little bunny was an extra added to the outside of the packaging which was a lovely touch. This set came out in the Spring and summer catalogue and is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. I fully expect I will be using it a lot in the near future.



The set (to the right) was made by Sandra and she opted for Bright Blossoms stamp set. I have owned this one for quite some time and must admit I don't use it as often as I should. ..but seeing what Sandra has done  and how she has made the most of this set using it with a variety of punches and dies has given me some fresh ideas.





The next set (on the left) was made by Alison using Everything Eleanor.  I have already really got a lot of use out of this set and yet I had never ever considered using it to make candy and Alison has really made me think differently about an old favourite. She has combined a lot of techniques and products including pressed clay flowers.



The last of the sets I own was the Just Sayin' stamp set and coordinating word bubble framelits chosen by  Julie. This is another new set from the spring and summer catalogue and this is a fine example of how what is a basically a sentiment set can be up-scaled into something a little more. The super cute punch art owl was a fabulous extra touch to this  set of candy.


So that is part one of the card candy swap show & tell.  I loved that the card candy I received gave me some new ideas on how I could use those sets that are already in my collection ...and of course it generally prompts creative thinking about how to use other sets in similar ways too.

I will come back to the rest of the card candy swaps - the sets I do not personally own -  in another post but for now if you have any questions, would like to know more or need some general information please do get in touch.

Until next time, take care

Christa   xx



No comments:

Post a Comment